North Carolina Department of Justice
North Carolina Department of Justice
North Carolina Department of Justice
Submit this request

AG Cooper urges veterans to take steps to protect themselves

Release date: 5/23/2006

  • Close any new or current accounts affected by thefts by asking banks and/or businesses to close the violated accounts. If a new account has been opened in your name by the thief, dispute it with the credit bureaus.

  • For existing accounts, you may need to ask for a new account(s) with a new personal identification number(s) and password(s) (avoid using information such as your date of birth, mother’s maiden name, last four digits of your SSN, telephone number or a series of consecutive numbers). If you automatically draft payments from these affected accounts, notify companies of the change in your accounts.

  • If you receive a collection agency or business notice of bad credit in your name, let them know you’re a victim of identity theft and provide proof (such as a police report).

    • FILE A POLICE REPORT -File a police report in the city or county where you live. The report triggers protections such as an extended fraud alert and a free security freeze.

      KEEP RECORDS - Keep records of the steps you take to report identity theft. Write down dates, names, phone numbers and comments. Confirm actions in writing.

      Department of Veterans Affairs: 1-800-FED INFO (1-800-333-4636) Federal Trade Commission: 1-877-ID THEFT (1-877-438-4338) TDD 202-326-2502