North Carolina Department of Justiceskip to main content
North Carolina Department of Justice
North Carolina Department of Justice
Submit this request

File a Complaint

Having trouble with a business or spot a scam? We want to help. 

You can:

Before you file a complaint
  • Check out our consumer tips, which can help you avoid future problems.
  • Remember that our office can't give you legal advice or provide legal representation to individual consumers.
  • Our office generally doesn't get involved in matters that are scheduled or have already been heard in a court of law or closed by the agency with proper jurisdiction.
  • Know that documents you provide to us may be public record.

Complain Online
First, choose the consumer complaint form that fits your problem. Next, enter the information into the form and submit it electronically. You can attach up to four supporting documents. Please copy and mail any additional supporting documents along with a printed copy of your complaint. 
  • Automobile Complaint Form
    • For a vehicle sales complaint: submit copies of the bill of sale, credit contract, and any correspondence related to the problem.
    • For a used car warranty complaint: submit copies of the warranty and describe any oral warranties or promises made about the condition of the car.
    • For a car repair complaint: submit copies of repair orders or written estimates.

What to Include
Providing supporting documents helps us respond to your complaint more quickly. Include legible copies of supporting documents such as:
  • Contracts
  • Correspondence between you and the company
  • Receipts or bills of sale
  • Estimates
  • Repair orders
  • Warranties

Please submit copies of your supporting documents, not originals.

Complain by Mail
You can print a Consumer Complaint form, fill it out, sign it, and submit it to our office by mail. Include copies of your supporting documents when you mail us your complaint. You can also call us to request a consumer complaint form, or send us your complaint in the form of a letter.

Contact Us
Toll-free within North Carolina From outside North Carolina En Espanol
1-877-5-NO-SCAM (919) 716-6000 (919) 716-0058

Consumer Protection Division
Attorney General's Office
Mail Service Center 9001 
Raleigh, NC 27699-9001

What happens to my complaint? 
After we review your complaint and supporting documents, we will likely forward them to the business complained about for response. You'll receive copies of all correspondence. If the complaint falls within the jurisdiction of another local, state, or federal agency, we may refer your complaint to that agency.

We will work with you and the business to resolve your dispute. If we cannot find a resolution, we may suggest that you file an action in Small Claims Court or that you consult a private attorney. 

When consumers' complaints show a pattern of illegal business practices, we may take legal action to enforce the law on behalf of the public. 

Even if we aren't able to directly resolve your complaint, hearing from consumers like you helps us do our job. Consumer complaints help our office monitor questionable business practices, set priorities for enforcement efforts, and make recommendations for changes to the law.